Best Immigration Lawyers in Antigua and Barbuda

Share your needs with us, get contacted by law firms.

Free. Takes 2 min.

Or refine your search by selecting a city:



St John's, Antigua and Barbuda

Founded in 1992
100 people in their team
Harvey Law Group is the world largest residency and citizenship by investment law firm. HLG originates from Montreal, Canada in 1992. HLG provides...

Browse immigration law firms by service in Antigua and Barbuda

Antigua and Barbuda Attorneys in related practice areas.

Browse immigration law firms by city in Antigua and Barbuda

Refine your search by selecting a city.

About Immigration Law in Antigua and Barbuda

Antigua and Barbuda, an independent Commonwealth country in the Eastern Caribbean, has a comprehensive framework of immigration laws designed to manage and regulate the movement of people into, within, and out of the country. The primary legislation governing immigration in Antigua and Barbuda is the Immigration and Passport Act. This legislation sets out the rules concerning visas, residence permits, work permits, citizenship, deportation, and asylum. As with any legal framework, the rules and regulations can be complex and challenging to navigate for those unfamiliar with the system.

Why You May Need a Lawyer

You might need a lawyer in several scenarios related to immigration in Antigua and Barbuda. This includes seeking a residence permit, extending your stay, family reunification, applying for citizenship, or contesting a deportation order. In any of these situations, a lawyer who specializes in immigration law can provide invaluable advice, help you understand your rights and obligations, prepare and submit your documents, and represent you in dealings with immigration officials. A lawyer can also assist if you are seeking political asylum or facing any issues related to immigration laws that could result in legal consequences.

Local Laws Overview

The basic condition for immigration to Antigua and Barbuda is having a valid visa, unless you are exempted by being a citizen of a visa-exempt country. For long-term stays, a residence permit is required. To work in Antigua and Barbuda, it's mandatory to have a work permit issued by the labor department. The Immigration and Passport Act also provides for the acquisition of citizenship either by birth, descent, marriage or naturalization. The country also recognizes dual citizenship. Deportation rules are stringent, and persons who overstayed their visa or are in the country illegally could face deportation. Asylum procedures are also established under this Act.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How can I acquire citizenship in Antigua and Barbuda?

You can acquire citizenship in Antigua and Barbuda by birth, descent, marriage or naturalization. The country also offers a citizenship by investment program for foreign investors.

2. Do I need a work permit to work in Antigua and Barbuda?

Yes, unless you are an Antiguan and Barbudan citizen, you will need a work permit to legally work in the country.

3. For how long can I stay in Antigua and Barbuda as a visitor?

This largely depends on the immigration officer at the port of entry, but generally, visitors are allowed to stay for up to six months.

4. Can I extend my stay in Antigua and Barbuda?

Yes, you can apply for an extension of stay. However, approval is at the discretion of the immigration authorities, and you must have valid reasons.

5. What are the penalties for overstaying my visa in Antigua and Barbuda?

Overstaying your visa could result in fines or deportation. Repeat violations can result in being barred from re-entry.

6. What is the procedure for asylum in Antigua and Barbuda?

Asylum applications must be submitted to the local immigration department where the case will be assessed following international refugee law.

7. How can I appeal a negative immigration decision?

You would need the help of a local immigration lawyer to make an appeal. The procedure varies based on the type of decision that is being appealed.

8. Can I bring my family to live in Antigua and Barbuda?

Yes, through the family reunification process. Specific eligibility criteria apply, and you should consult with an immigration lawyer to guide you through the process.

9. Is dual citizenship allowed in Antigua and Barbuda?

Yes, Antigua and Barbuda does allow dual citizenship.

10. How can I find a reliable immigration lawyer in Antigua and Barbuda?

You can consult the local directory, bar association, or online platforms that rate and review lawyers. However, it's important to ensure they specialize in immigration law.

Additional Resources

The official website of the Antigua and Barbuda Immigration Department provides a valuable source of information about immigration laws and procedures. You can also consult the Immigration and Passport Act for an in-depth understanding of the country's immigration laws. Additionally, organizations such as the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) may offer help for asylum seekers.

Next Steps

If you need legal assistance with immigration issues in Antigua and Barbuda, the first step is to find and consult with a legal professional experienced in immigration law. It's important to provide them with all pertinent information about your case so they can advise you on the best course of action. Do not take any steps without legal advice, especially if your legal status in the country is uncertain. It's also essential to ensure you understand your rights and obligations under Antiguan and Barbudan immigration law.

The information provided on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. While we strive to present accurate and up-to-date information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or currentness of the content. Laws and regulations can change frequently, and interpretations of the law can vary. Therefore, you should consult with qualified legal professionals for specific advice tailored to your situation. We disclaim all liability for actions you take or fail to take based on any content on this page. If you find any information to be incorrect or outdated, please contact us, and we will make efforts to rectify it.